Site Layout

It has cost millions of dollars, hundreds have died, but the site layout is pretty close to where I want it. I thought the old layout had too much grey in it, so I took some cues from Mail.app to put some color in the side bars.

The brushed metal is totally me, so it stays. But I felt the title bar could be more compact so I pushed the flickr badge to the top. I think the look is good and should fit well at 1024 width. For those with lower resolutions, well I suspect it won’t display right anyways.

There’s some more tweaking to do and if I don’t wipe out the CSS again, it shouldn’t be much work. If your using a browser other than Safari, let me know how it loosk.

Advertisements

Thanks for the Review

Whatdayaknow… The WeblogReview reviewed my website today. I have to pretty much agree with what the reviewer said. Interestingly enough this weekend I sat down trying to figure out what was causing the side columns to overlap the center, it turned out to be a extra “<” next to the letter A that I missed. Took me forever to figure that out. I had also thought along the same lines that the site navigation needed some improvement so I moved things around to address this.

As for the IE thing. I’m not sure what to do. The current version of IE that I have on my PC at works seems to do a pretty decent job except for the javascript errors (which I’m still trying to isolate). I know older versions of IE choke on some of the CSS. Not much I can do about that. It’s definitely not an issue where I’m purposly trying to prevent IE users from viewing the page, I just don’t know what I need to do to make it work as well as it does on Safari. 

Safari 2.1 Screws Up My CSS

I’ve put considerable effort into removing the tables and going pure CSS on this site. Today Apple released Safari 1.2 that really screws up everything. I’ve fixed some of the issues but for some reason Safari doesn’t render the center column. That could be due to my crappy CSS coding or a bug in Safari. Either way it’s obviously broken so I’ve removed the theme switched until I can get at least on style sheet working correctly.

[Update:] OK, Camino, Mozilla and Omniweb all have the same behavior. But IE on windows doesn’t do it. I’m very perplexed. I also discovered that one of my Ads is producing Pop-unders! Say goodbye to everything except Amazon.com ads.

[Update 2:] May not be Apple’s fault completely. I had the “position” of the middle box set for 10 pixels from the bottom. Apparently this means 10 pixels from what ever part of the browser window you can see.