There’s been rumor upon rumor that Intel will eventually shut down the Intel site in New Mexico. Its just a rumor but news from Reutes doesn’t help ”
Intel submits plan for nearly $6 bln Israel chip plant upgrade“
Chip giant Intel Corp submitted a plan to Israel’s government to invest 20 billion shekels ($5.8 billion) in upgrading its plant in southern Israel, the Economy Ministry said on Monday.
The ministry said it promised Intel it would work to expedite bureaucratic procedures as much as possible to develop and promote employment in the country’s south.
As part of the investment, Intel would receive a government grant that Israeli media estimated at about 1 billion shekels.
The 1 billion shekels (or 289 million dollars) probably helps. Also note that Intel built the a brand new fab 42 factory in Arizona and it’s apparently going to stay empty for the time being.
Friends of mine are moving to Israel for a few years. They will be living in a newly built house during that time. Although they are living in a relative safe area, the houses are built to withstand an assault. Here are some interesting things to note about the construction (and a few pictures).
- The house has an alarm system.
- Some windows have a metal shutter system. Others have a roll down protection system.
- The windows and doors all appear to be heavy duty in design and made of metal.
- According to my friend, “By law, every new house in Israel has to have a security room – lockable from inside and airtight.”
- “All houses and building here are made out of concrete – this is good for shelling protection as well as taking advantage of cooling.”
- “This means all interior walls are also concrete.”
- “I think they simply tile everything they want tiled, then smooth the walls with plaster and paint it.”
Interesting how a constant threat of a terrorist attack dictates the building materials and design of housing. I assume that there aren’t a lot of McMansions there either.
Side of the house. Nothing too unusual looking here
Safe room. I guess you fill it full of important papers, food and guns
Metal security shutters. Where can I get these in the US?