Improving Website Accessibility

I’ve been reading the 30 days to a more accessible web site to make improvements to my own site. One of the first things I did was to move the main content so it will load first. Since I had changed the columns to CSS from tables that was easiest to do. I made some other minor tweaks as well. The biggest problem is all the javascript used in the site. A lot of its in there so iBlog doesn’t have to reload the entire site ever time I make a change, it would be nice if there were another way. 

Advertisements

New Site Design

The new site design is pretty much complete. This one is considerably different then the old one where I tried to emulate the look of a mac.com menu. This one is almost completely CSS driven, there is very little I modified in the templates. There is still a few things left to do including modifying the rest of the templates for the site and coming up with a better header.

Google has yet to crawl the new site so a lot of links they have are pointing to pages that don’t exist since I moved the old site to the /old/ directory. Don’t know how to make their robots crawl my site?

I still looking for the perfect link manager. I’ve tried BlogRolling and are currently using BlogLinker. BlogLinker is pretty good but I don’t think it’s perfect.

I’ve also discovered that Internet Exploder on Windows doesn’t so such a good job rendering the page. So I though it might be a good idea to put a permanent note on the site so those poor fools will know its not the site but their browsers. 

Another First Post!

Ack! Several months ago iBlog, the software I use for this blog had a brain fart and completly forgot all my entries. The developer was able to restore the entries but the dates all reset to the date they were restored. A lot of good that did. There was no way for me to update all the entries time, let alone go through 80+ entries. So I moved the old blog and started a new one. What you will see is some experimentation in site design. Let me know what you think. 

Thinking Of A New Website Name

I’ve been trying to find a clever name for my site since I first started the blog. While driving through New Mexico this week I was inspired to call it “Casa Gregorio”. Technically the spanish translation for Gregory’s Home Page would be “La Página principal de Gregorio” but I though that sounded like too much. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Greg In The Desert Advertising Policy

[Updated 3/31/2007] This is my official advertising polcy. I use advertising from several sources, mostly affiliate programs.

For the affiliate programs, I only advertise from those merchants that I personally have used. Links to those merchants are on the right hand column. I may also put links in my posts to those merchants where they can apply and I may make posts about special deals those merchants might make.

Amazon is one of the affiliate programs I use. They have a context links program which will automatically scan my site and add links to products. These links are differentiated from normal links by being orange. These links do not show up on RSS feeds.

Finally, I used Google Adsense. These links should be clearly marked.