A woman in Arizona was stung by a Scorpion and billed $25,537 after insurance paid $57,509 for antivenom according to the azcentral article “Scorpion sting leaves Ahwatukee woman with a big bill
The 52-year-old Ahwatukee Foothills woman had never felt a scorpion sting before that day. She had no intention of seeking medical help, but within an hour of the sting, Edmonds’ mild tingling sensation worsened with throat tightness, blurry vision, darting eyes and tense muscles. She could not walk and had trouble breathing.
With the help of a friend, she called Poison Control and was advised to go to the nearest hospital that had scorpion antivenom, Chandler Regional Medical Center. At the hospital, an emergency room doctor told her about the antivenom, called Anascorp, that could quickly relieve her symptoms. Edmonds said the physician never talked with her about the cost of the drug or treatment alternatives.
Having had experience with Chandler Regional Medical Center, I would have avoided going there if possible. My favorite part of the story
“We believe no one should delay seeking needed medical care because they lack insurance or have high medical costs,” the hospital’s statement said.
That’s easy to say when you don’t have to be the one paying. Had I been in the same situation and they told me how much it would cost I would have tried to live with the effects venom instead of paying $25,000. Although the article doesn’t say I suspect the woman was stung by a bark scorpion, which is different and more dangerous than the ones I get in my house.